The Implications of Russian Interventions for the Security of Europe and NATO’s Responsibilities
The central theme of the 2015 seminar was “The Implications of Russian Interventions for the Security of Europe and NATO’s Responsibilities.”
The seminar took place from 15 until 18 February 2015 at the Maritim Hotel in Königswinter, Germany.
Topics covered by this Seminar were:
- Understanding Russian cultural values;
- The implications of sanctions, given the Russo-European economic inter-dependency;
- and the West’s potential political and military responses to Russia’s new status
Among others, the following speakers participated in the Seminar:
- Dr Nicolai PETRO, Professor of Politics at the University of Rhode Island
- Dr Arkadi MOSHES, Professor at Finnish Institute of International Affairs, and Chatham House
- Dr Ralf ROLOFF, Professor at George C. Marshall Institute for Security in Europe
- Brigadier General Patrick WOUTERS, Deputy Director Plans and Policy Division, NATO International Military Staff (IMS)
- In addition, there were other speakers from: NATO Defence College (NDC), the American University in Paris, the Latvian Institute of Political Science and the Cicero Foundation, to name but a few.
In Detail: Russia’s Orthodox Soft Power
Foreign policy is determined by two variables: Interests one the one hand, and values on the other hand. Much has been written about the former with regard to Russia’s current foreign political stance – values, however, have not featured so prominently in many analyses, Professor Nicolai Petro claimed at the 2015 CIOR seminar.
The question of values is most prominently visible at the intersection of the Orthodox Church and the Russian state – and at the idea of the “Russky mir”, or Russian World. While many analysts consider this idea to bethe intertwining of church and state, it is often overlooked, Petro argued, that both sides actually interpret the term quite differently. Nonetheless, the close and symbiotic relationship between church and state is likely to continue to shape Russia’s future aspirations.
PLEASE VISIT AGAIN SOON TO FIND SOME OF THE PRESENTATIONS AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD!